The Urban Dictionary defines slay queens, as you do – naive girls who apparently do not date broke men.
They spend hours on Snapchat and Instagram showing off things that they do not even own.
The term ‘slay queen’ has taken social media by storm. At first, being labeled a slay queen had a positive meaning to it, as slaying meant that you are outshining everyone else, it was a form of encouragement.
Overtime, the whole meaning of being a slay queen changed. Recently, the term is used to describe a woman that likes to show off her luxurious lifestyle on social media sponsored by wealthy men.
It is believed that slay queens normally date wealthy men who usually provide things like money, expensive gifts and luxurious trips in exchange for company or sexual favours. Could this be a trend of prostitution? Because, a prostitute is a person who accepts money for sexual services, or sells integrity for an unworthy purpose.
Recently on Twitter, Nandi Cakes claimed that all Instagram slay queens are prostitutes. She even provided
screenshots of multiple conversations between different slay queens and a wealthy man.Here are some few screenshots:
According to Karuru Peter and Vivian, there are four key traits of slay queens:
1. Make-up and style
Slay queens always have make up on. They better spend the better part of their time in a vehicle and not step out without their make-up. However, the fact that slay queens wear makeup all the time does not mean that they are good at it. In real life, a slay queen might not even be able to match the colour of her neck to the shade of her face. Nevertheless, almost all of them are experts at using retouching apps and software.
2. They have a unique language.
Even if you cannot yet see a slay queen approaching, you can hear her approaching a mile away. They have a way of coining and cutting short their words.
3. Forever on social media
They cannot live away from their phones as they are always checking how many people liked or commented on their photos and updates. 95% of a slay queen’s Instagram profile is pictures of her. Mirror selfies, beach photos, club pictures, you name it. Every minute of her life has to be documented, so the remaining 5% is photos of food and other random things.
4. Luxurious Lifestyle
One of the most definitive traits of the “queens of slaying” that distinguishes them from the others is their love for expensive things and luxury. They will go out of their way to snap a picture in or around a lavish car, with a bottle of pricey alcohol or in five-star hotels. Despite her love of all things shiny, a typical slay queen cannot afford most (if not all) things she takes pictures of.
It is pretty much clear that slay queens and commercial prostitutes have the most similar characteristic, which is the practice of engaging in sexual activity in exchange for personal or financial gain. The only difference is that slay queens use social media to advertise themselves by posting many photos parading their
bodies whilst commercial prostitutes vend their services on the light red streets.